Canada's Top Sports Betting Sites for 2018
Are you looking to get into online betting but don't know how? Interested playing for real money online at a secure website? Or, do you simply find that land options aren't satisfying enough anymore? Well feel rest assured, as we've done all the research for you! Simply follow our advice, and we'll guide you to a top online sports betting casino in Canada to sign up with.
Gamblers in Canada are spoiled for choice when it comes to sports betting sites, and our team has shortlisted the best ones for you to sign up with. Betway Sports offers the top sports betting for Canadians looking to get involved with their favourite teams.
- Turn your hunches into bets by betting on a number of different sports and teams
- Play on your mobile, from anywhere on the go
- Betting in real Canadian Dollars.
- Features the newest security software
- Easily clearable $200 Welcome Bonus
- In-play betting all top sports events
- Very friendly player support
- Impeccable security track record
- Get $150 free, plus $1,500 Welcome Bonus
- Place bets on Canada's favourite sports
- Great promotions, like treble winnings
- Generous welcome bonus when you join
- Bet on tons of sports with great odds
- Rewarding loyalty scheme based on points
- Customer service team available 24/7
Online sports betting has expanded the genre, allowing you to bet on your favourite team at any time of day and night, often right until the last moment, using any device including your mobile phone. Now you can bet on a game from the other side of the world at 2am and withdraw your winnings immediately after, straight through your smartphone.
Why should you trust us?
We have a team of top online gaming, betting, software and security specialists who trawl through real money online betting sites to bring you the best of the best for your sports betting needs. We rate gambling sites according to their adaptation to modern technology, fair gaming practices, use of real cash and security of personal information. Then we compile a list of the best casinos that fulfil all the above criteria to ensure that you can just sign up and play without a glitch. We also check that they accept CAD, since as a player from CA you need to use online casino sports betting websites which work with Canadian players.
What is sports betting and what should you know about it?
Online sports betting is diverse and flexible and there are plenty of options for you to choose from: different sports (football, MMA, basketball, baseball, tennis, horse racing, cricket, but especially hockey and lacrosse), different online betting options, different bet sizes and odds. Sports betting odds can seem complicated if you are not familiar with them: they can be presented in the American fashion (telling you the amount of money you have to bet to win $100), British (fractional) or European (decimal). While Canadian sports betting odds usually follow the American model, the online casino sports betting sites you choose might not, so you should familiarize yourself with all three systems. We have collected essential sports betting tips for you on our dedicated page, so check that out before you start playing for real money.
Find Your Game
Finding the right game to place your bets on is a tough choice for sports fans, so here are some of the more popular options:
- Ice Hockey – The NHL provides high impact entertainment, and our recommended casinos have plenty of ways to help you win big while on the ice.
- UFC/MMA – Feel the impact of every punch, kick and throw as fighters duke it out in the arena and give you the chance to win big.
- Golf – From Scotland to the US Masters, this relaxing past time has the ability to bring you home the big wins if you know who to bet on.
- American Football – The NFL is an extremely popular arena for sports betting in Canada, and you too could join the craze and earn some cash.
- Baseball – Every strike and home-run in MLB could be putting you closer to those big time wins, so why not start today!
- Basketball – If you support the Toronto Raptors or any other NBA side for that matter, there is money to be made in the world of basketball
- Soccer – Although the leagues are mainly European, there is still plenty to be won while watching ‘the beautiful game’.
How to play
Now you can use any device to place sports bets and even collect your winnings from anywhere you are, including your office, bedroom or doctor's waiting room.
Sports betting is made to be easy – all you need is to sign up for an account and start making bets. In case you need any sports betting advice look at our FAQ page. We have also collected information on the best online casino sports betting strategy for you to guarantee that you keep as much of the real cash you make as possible. While there are no foolproof ways of winning, there are plenty of ways to maximize your chances of winning more cash more often.
Types of Sports Bets
No matter what sport you happen to be betting on, be it the NFL, NBA, MLB or others, there are generally certain types of bets you will find along the way. It is important to be familiar with all of them if you want to have the best chance of winning big.
Each type of bet has a slight different nuance to it, and most players tend to stick to just a few betting types that suit their play style. Who won the game? How much did they win by? What was the total points scored? These are all different types of bets you can take, so it is important to know which kind of bet you’re placing.
Here are some of the most popular types of bets:
- Win bet/moneyline wager – the most straightforward, this is simply betting on the outcome of a game, and who you think will win.
- Points Spread – Slightly more complex than the win bet, the points spread bet involves not only betting who will win, but also how much they will win by and the score difference between the two teams.
- Totals/Over-Unders – This is essentially betting on how many points, runs or goals are scored in total for a game. The bookmaker sets an estimate, and you bet under or over that total depending on how you’re feeling.
- Handicap Betting – handicap betting is very similar to points spread, except the bookmaker makes these bets harder to win, although the payout can be much more.
- In play – Betting during the game is a huge part of betting on and offline now. Bettors expect to be able to place bets as the odds shift minute by minute in line with the action. Cash out options allow you to take your winnings if you expect your wager's performance has peaked mid game.
- Parlays – Also known as multiples or accumulators, parlays are multiple bets, which could involve multiple games, and makes it hard to win. However, get it right and the potential earnings are huge.
- Teasers – Mostly for football and basketball, teasers are a type of parlay bet involving multiple selections, except the points spread and totals are moved in the players favour.
- Canadian Lines – A type of points spread bet, Canadian line betting always has the line at +/- 1.5, which makes things a bit more interesting.
There are plenty of live bets tips and tricks you can learn to better your chances of winning, but it is always better to have knowledge first before laying out your live betting strategy. Make sure to always know what type of bet you’re making, as it can severely increase your chances of taking home the jackpot.
Is sports betting just a computer thing?
The top sports Candian betting sites we have recommended to you will permit you to play from any device, including your smartphone or tablet, all for real money. You can even use a BlackBerry cellphone or a Windows phone to engage in your favourite hobby! New iOS allow Flash software and html5 code to run smoothly, for better connectivity and excellent graphics. On the other hand, if you are an Android user, you can also download a sports betting app from most online casino sites on to your device. It is best if you choose a newer device, such as Samsung Galaxy, Sony Experia, LG G4, a Fire tablet, to make sure that the software safety protocols are up-to-date and keeping your information safe.
Mac computers, iPhones and iPads have also finally caught up and are now able to play Flash media flawlessly, allowing you to have instant gaming access and the best graphics available even on the go. Now you can use any device to place sports bets and collect your winnings from anywhere you are, including your office, bedroom or doctor's waiting room.
Finding a place to Bet
Sports betting and online gambling play often go hand in hand for Canadian online gamblers, simply because these services are so accessible on the web and are often offered on the same site. When playing at combination online casino/sports betting sites, bettors inevitably get curious about casino games and vice versa. And, because there are various deposit bonuses and other rewards available to players in these situations, players have absolutely nothing to lose by taking a break from their usual gambling activity to try something a bit different.
Whenever gambling online however, there are a few things you can do to make sure the website you’re playing on is legit. A trustable casino often has telltale signs, such as fast payments on winnings, a variety of free bets, money back and other promotions, and should offer a full range of sporting events for you to bet on.
Besides that, an easy to use interface, top level security and what betting lines are available should also be considered when choosing your place for online betting. Canada has a host of trustworthy options, simply check out the casinos we've listed on this page for great odds and a large range of sports to bet on.
Free Bets and Offers to Boost your Bankroll
Sports betting is unique in that if offers more ways than most to boost your bankroll, thanks to the various types of bets involved and the way you play. Free bets is a popular choice in bonus, but there are others, such as risk free betting, enhanced odds for bigger wins and money back promotions, so you don’t lose your money if you lose a bet.
Although you can never go wrong with free bets, Canada sports betting establishments have plenty of money back specials and enhanced odds sign up offers to choose from, so how and where you want to make the most of it is really up to you.
Test out the best online casinos we’ve assembled on this custom list right now, or find quality options that meet more specific wants with our custom crafted search tool.
Sports Betting FAQ
What bets can I make, and which types are popular in Canada?
There are different types of bets that are focused on the final score or on the favourite teams, on picking a score and getting it right or comparing your bet to the number picked by the casino, and all other sorts and varieties. The most common tend to be the moneyline, where you pick the winner, and the point spread where you decide whether the winner will win according to the score the online betting site has chosen, or by more or fewer points.
Can I make any money?
Making money when gambling depends largely on how you bet. Casinos, whether land or online, need to make money so they cannot let you in every time. There are certain online betting strategies and tips that will increase your chances of winning and reduce your chances of losing, but in gambling there is no sure-fire way of making money.
I've heard of 'sports betting lines', what are they?
While you can make a simple bet putting money on the team that wins a game, there are more complex ways of real money sports betting, which depend on the handicap that the bookmakers have given each team. In such bets, called spread bets, the online betting site will give a range of outcomes for each game, and the players will bet on where the game score will fall according to that range.
What is a good amount to bet?
The amount of money you bet depends entirely on you and what you can afford, what you prefer, how much risk you want to take. But generally, low-stakes bets are more likely to yield winnings. High-stakes bets will make you lose more often than not, but when you do win, the sum will be proportionately bigger.
Is there a strategy I can use?
Online gaming strategies exist, though there are no magical ways of winning every time. There are ways to maximize your chances of winning, such as betting smaller amounts consistently and using previous statistics to help you choose your winner. You can check strategies out in more detail on our dedicated Online Gaming Strategy page.
Are the sites secure?
Real money online gambling sites have to protect their assets, in other words – you. This makes them pay for the highest possible online security. Many of them are as safe as banks, so you have nothing to worry about as long as you choose a top casino that we have recommended. To guarantee your safety choose a payment method that protects as well as the casino does, such as an eWallet or a pre-paid card. That way you can also maintain your anonymity to some extent. Also make sure that if you are using a mobile device, your software is updated so it will be using the newest security protocols.
Expert Casino Guides
- Real Money
- Best Bonuses
- Free Games
- No Download
- Highest Payouts
- No Deposit
- Mega Moolah
- History of Gambling in Canada
- Reputable Casinos Guide
- Top 10 Tips
- Become a Casino Dealer
- Gambling Laws